Re: Test for Silver Metal in Print?

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 10/28/03-11:15:43 PM Z

From: Sandy King <sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: RE: Test for Silver Metal in Print?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:13:52 -0500

> As to why I want to know this it relates to a comment made a few
> weeks ago by Judy Seigel regarding Pt/Pd toned kallitypes versus
> straight Pt/Pd. What Judy wrote was this:
(meat removed)[...]

Following this line of arguments, suppose Epson came up with an "ink"
consisting of material nearly identical to platinum process image and
if desired requires at least research lab equipment to test anything
for sure as to its constituent. Would you call the image created by
such process platinum print?

On the other hand, I make silver gelatin emulsions and sensitizing
materials from raw chemicals, and average art buyers do recognize this
is something different although falls under the same name.

What if Eastman Kodak come up with a "silver gelatin ink?" (Sure
Ilford will come up with warmtone version, "multigrade printer
driver," inkjet toning kits (the chemical kits, of course), and what
not.) It may go as far as "organic" silver gelatin, sustainable silver
gelatin, fair trade silver gelatin, whatever.

By the way, don't despise PhD students in science. Most are concerned
about how to get out of their program as quickly as possible and don't
like intellectual distractions very much. Retired professors are
probably better people to talk to!

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)