Re: Archival qualities of Pictorico OHP film.

From: Julian Smart (julian@jsmart.fslife.co.uk)
Date: 09/01/03-04:11:17 PM Z

Judy wrote

> Julian, I surmise from the subsequent exchanges that you were printing the
> negs with full color. My tests with 1160 dye inks in black only showed no
> change in about a year.. on various substrates.
>
> I have BTW found with normal gum printing, which you seem to have been
> using the negs for, the dot gain is such that I'd expect extra dpi from 4
> colors of black to be more or less irrelevant. Is it possible the
> "grainy" look you found was due to different responses to the color
> dots????

Judy,

You are quite right, I have been printing using colour inks up till now. I
have never managed to get a nice grainless look from any substrate I have
tried- which I put down to the resolving powers of the materials involved.
Even on paper an inkjet print looks very grainy when magnified and some of
my negs look visually grainy to the unaided eye!

Sometimes you really don't see the wood for the trees, and so it is with me
here. It's blindingly obvious that a multiple coloured neg will give a
patchy result. I still suspect that there is a loss of resolution due to the
substrate- the printer driver not being able to deliver enough ink for
density without puddling. This is a dot gain issue and one I expect can be
gotten around by simply colourising the negs. a la pyro. I tried this once
and ended up with such outrageous contrast on a vdb print that I never went
back to it. Which is why I have never tried it for gum.....

Julian.