Re: Gum Woes

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@bresnan.net)
Date: 09/01/03-07:43:33 PM Z

I've made many beautiful gum prints with Varn's Gum Arabic. "Printers gum"
is definitely suitable for making gum prints.

I'm using Rives BFK with Knox gelatin as sizing. My procedure: 1) Soak
paper in hot water and dry (pre-shrink). 2) Soak in hot gelatin solution,
squeegee and hang to dry. 3) Repeat step 2. 4) Soak in formalin (hardener)
and hang to dry.

The "caramel-brown color" evident in your prints could caused by: dichromate
stain, pigment stain, overexposure, poor or nonexistent sizing, fogging by
excessive ambient light while the coated paper is drying.... or a
combination of the above problems. With proper exposure and development,
you should get clean whites in unexposed areas.

Best regards,
Dave in Big Wonderful Wyoming