Re: coating method

From: Kate Mahoney (kateb@paradise.net.nz)
Date: 09/04/03-03:55:14 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryuji Suzuki" <rs@silvergrain.org>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 5:01 AM
Subject: coating method

> Hi -
>
> I've tried a few brushes, including Japanese hake, similar brush from
> China (soft, thin, white bristle), and a few cheap foam brushes. So
> far foam brushes produced the best results, but it's easy to leave
> thinly coated areas in streaks. Is there any improvement that can be
> made to foam brushes? (something like wrapping the tip with a cotton
> flannel) Or is there anything better?

So far the foam brushes have been the best for me, but I'm getting
frustrated by streaking too. I've been thinking of dipping. I've tried
swirling the emulsion on like collodion but it's too viscous even without
the hardener.

> I coat large sheets (up to 22x30 inches) so absorbent material that
> can hold some amount of emulsion is desirable. This is silver gelatin
> process. I harden emulsion with glutaraldehyde just prior to coating,
> so the emulsion is very viscous.

I'm only coating 4x5 glass at the moment so would be interested in hearing
any better methos you can work out - i might try the cotton flannel as it
seems that it's the bubbles in the foam edge that cause the streaking. Foam
rollers produce lots of tiny bubbles in the emulsion so they're out.

 I've never thought of hardening before coating - does this prevent frilling
and lifting????

Kate Mahoney