Re: coating method

From: Ryuji Suzuki (rs@silvergrain.org)
Date: 09/05/03-07:26:31 AM Z

From: Kate Mahoney <kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Subject: Re: coating method
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:27:51 +1200

> Yes, dry plates that have been coated with a gelatine/chrome alum
> mix previously. I use Tetanal "work"emulsion, but I'm keen to try
> multicoloured gum on glass in the future.

I see... so you are not using it in camera.

> I find too viscous an emulsion is difficult to fix. I apply two
> coats of runny emulsion.

Viscous gelatin dispersion would give you superior dry strength as
well as superior response to hardening agent. I don't know why your
fix time becomes that long... maybe coating too thickly?

> I always harden in the stopbath, for which I use water and Ilford
> film hardener. I've had a lot of trouble with lifting and frilling
> even with cold baths.

If lifting and frilling is a problem during processing, I think
hardening at coating or hardening before development should help.

Unhardened gelatin is very easy to get swollen a lot in developer even
at 20C, and this increases the volume of the gelatin. But the gelatin
should stay in contact with glass substrate, meaning that the gelatin
shouldn't swell too much. I'd go with an aldehyde hardener, probably
with some glycerin.

Ryuji

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Reality has always had too many heads." (Bob Dylan, Cold Irons Bound, 1997)