Re: flying....

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 09/05/03-10:34:58 AM Z

> X-ray bags? where do i get those??????
>
> thx,
> ~christine

I think the best bags to use are clear plastic with a sealing opening.
'X-Ray bags' don't offer useful protection but add weight and expense; if
you are successful in getting hand inspection you are likely to have to
empty them out, whereas clear bags are often checked without opening.

I'm told the machines normally used for checking hand baggage are safe for
film up to and including EI400. I put my films through these before and
after exposure this year without problems.

I've heard several stories of notebook computers and other valuable items
disappearing during security checks, when there is a hold up as someone
goes through the metal detector. If travelling with an assistant or
companion, its a good idea to make sure they get through the gate ready to
collect the luggage before you put it through, just in case you get held
up. If travelling on your own, make sure to remove all metal items so you
don't get held up - I got caught out by the chain on my press card last
month - and take enough time to make sure the guy before you has cleared
the detector before putting your bag through.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/