gouache for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/05/03-02:33:06 PM Z

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Clay wrote:
> And while we're on the subject of gum, I've got an itch to try some
> single coat gums on some old silver-gelatin negatives, and wondered if
> anyone had a good watercolor pigment recommendation that will give a
> reasonable amount of density without a lot of staining. Is gouache the
> way to go here? Any kinds to avoid?

Clay, the earth colors are generally pretty archival, so no matter what
the folks from W-N said, I'd start with a gouache black with a touch of an
archival red watercolor to liven it up. I had almost miraculous results
with Rowney jet black series B designer gouache, rated 4 stars for
permanence, but then the tube ran out & the next tube had staining
problems. I switched to multi-coat with watercolor about then so I'm not
sure it wasn't something else... If I were doing it again I'd start back
there....

Or mix an indigo blue with something to soften the blue a bit that's
equally intense in covering power. (You want pigment with the greatest
covering power, so your coat isn't so thick it flakes off.)

On the other hand, if you want to bother with dry pigment, try Kremer
Flame black.

J.