Re: flying....

From: Thom Mitchell (tjmitch@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/09/03-03:57:53 PM Z

I've flown out of Logan (Boston) quite frequently for work. Typically they
will do the sniff test (utilizing a fabric swatch inserted into a machine)
without any hassle, especially if you put in some high speed 3200 film,
either 35mm or 120 (I always carry a roll I never intend to shoot
specifically for this purpose).

You have to specifically ask for a hand inspection and mention that you have
both high speed and/or scientific film (the definition of scientific is of
course up for interpretation), factory sealed definitely helps. I've never
been refused a hand-inspection when I've asked for it politely, firmly and
repeatedly. Again having some high-speed film combined with your regular
film definitely helps. Allow an extra 30 minutes, if not longer. They will
typically sniff samples or occasionally sniff each individual roll or box,
as you can imagine with 30-40 rolls of film this can take a while. The key
as always is to remain calm, relaxed and polite. The security personnel are
doing their job under trying circumstances, you want them to like or at
least not actively dislike you.

Post 9/11 I've flown into or out of San Jose, San Francisco, LaGuardia,
Providence, Hobby, DFW, St Louis, Columbia, Minneapolis, BWI, National,
Logan, Manchester, JFK, LAX, Seattle, Anchorage, Raleigh, Charlotte,
Atlanta, O'Hare, Midway, Denver, Salt Lake City and others. I've flown with
35, 120, and 4x5 and Polaroid films. I have not flown internationally since
9/11 so I have no advice there.

They (the TSA) do enforce the two carry-on bag limit pretty tightly so
travel light if at all possible, pack your tripod and like items in your
checked luggage. Think calm thoughts and hope for good light.
Good Luck