Re: Opacity vs transparency (Was: Re: pigment for gum )

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/11/03-07:40:15 AM Z

Jack Brubaker wrote:

> Katharine wrote:
>
> a transparent gum print owes its "life" to light
> > going through the gum, striking the white paper, and reflecting back to
> > the eye through the layers of gum.
>
> It is this double passage of light through the paint that gives the tone we
> see. So a "transparent" layer can appear as "opaque". Very dark tones can be
> made with transparent paint.

Perhaps we're saying the same thing but using different words. I would
never say that a transparent layer can appear as opaque, because to me
transparent and opaque are opposites, but I would certainly say that a
transparent layer can appear very dark. The last sentence above, "Very
dark tones can be made with transparent paint" is exactly the point I've
been trying to make for the last couple of days but apparently not
getting across well. Thanks for the help.
Katharine