Re: Opacity vs transparency (Was: Re: pigment for gum )

From: Yu rei (nanocrystals2003@yahoo.co.jp)
Date: 09/12/03-04:50:01 PM Z

 --- Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com> wrote

One vector describes opacity; on one end of this vector is
total transparency and on the other end is total opacity.

Then (are you still with me?) there is another vector,
denoting darkness or lightness of value, which is also
variously called "density" or DMax.

On one end is black, on the other end is white. A
pigment will have a value on each of these vectors; the
values are independent of each other.

OK. (Even at the extream ends?)

But why doesn't the vector...

"denoting darkness or lightness of value, which is also
variously called "density" or DMax."

ever become so dark or dense, that it becomes Opaque?

It just seems like if a transparent color's dmax or
density or darkness gets high enough, it should get to a
point where so little light could pass, it could not be
called "transparent" any longer.

Katharine - I think I will just visit the local art store
here and look for some examples.

Thanks for your (hair pulling?) help! The explanations
offered by others, too, have helped but I guess I am still
trying to drive the proverbial screw with my hammer (that
being the only tool in my box)!

Maybe a good dream will make it all clear to me.

Good night! And sorry everyone for extending this ....

Ray