Re: Diane Arbus

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/19/03-03:28:05 PM Z

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Don Bryant wrote:

I wrote:

> > I am also convinced that the hostility to her work is because
> > she dared show MEN as less than glamorous, too presumptuous in our photo
> > culture for a woman.
>
> I 've never read reviews of her work that gave me that impression at all

> Judy, but I haven't read everything written about Diane. Personally for
me
> her gender never influenced my feeling about her work one way or the other.
ll> I simply admired her photography and was very disappointed when I read
of

I'm thinking of the general tenor of the barrage aimed at her, on for
instance the old history of photography list. But sexism or whatever you
want to call it is by definition unconscious.... I wouldn't expect any
overt recognition of the cause, probably not recognized by the person
himself.. These are *judgements,* and largely subjective. I cannot however
recall equal oblogquy for 'transgressive' photographs by men.

> > Arbus was denounced ... not least by AD Coleman in one of his
> > 4-star tirades.)

> Well Alan has to do something for a living. I do recall him negating her
> posthumous portfolio(s) curated by Amy. His position was that any
> photogrphers previously unknown work released after their death should not
> be considered part of their life's oeuvre simply because the work was not
> released by the artist while alive. I guess this a fine point for
> collectors, critics and curators to debate. I can understand the premise of
> the argument but this is not a reason to release her work (or other dead
> artists) for study, enjoyment, and emotional contemplation by the viewing
> public.

The premise of not releasing after her death was feeble at best,
especially considering how premature that death was, mostly I'd say a
pretext for the tantrum. Surely there are many works by men released after
their death not similarly decried by A.D.-- or anyone.

J.