Re: About Witkin

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 09/21/03-08:54:34 PM Z

I don't think your "viewpoint" is so shallow. I've come to say to my
classes that photography allows us to stare with impunity. The
discomfort of a stare (from both perspectives) is lightened, but not
removed with a print in lieu of a person. To bring this full circle
(back to Arbus [and Klein and Frank]), we'd much prefer the photograph
usually to the reality if there is something disturbing or scary before
our eyes.

Darryl