Re: The Eerie Exactness of the Daguerrotype (Review in NY Times)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/27/03-12:06:22 PM Z

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Phillip Murphy wrote:

> The added shame of poor gallery exhibition of Daguerreotypes is that the
> medium poorly translates into book pages

But it can be translated exquisitely into book pages given the proper
expertise (or maybe it's liberty?). I think of the Chuck Close dags in
Lyle Rexer's Antiquarian book... I found them more remarkable than the
originals which I saw well lighted (as far as I, a non-expert, could tell)
in the gallery show.

J.