Re: PT/PD density/contrast/definition

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/27/03-06:43:45 PM Z

A few thoughts.

First, the effective printing density range may be greater in the UV
than what you measure with your color analyzer. This is certainly the
case in my work with the pigmented inks of the Epson 2000P on
Pictorico where the difference between measured density range between
a Visual and UV reading is over log 0.30. So it is possible that the
effective DR of your negative is really closer to 2.0 or 2.1 than 1.7.

Second, your note that the dark steps loose separation beginning at
about 30% suggests that you have overexposed the negative. When we
print we must expose for the dark values, and then take steps as
necessary to control contrast in the highlights.

In any event the result you describe is consistent with slight
over-exposure and a negative that has too much contrast to handle the
sensitizer you used.

Sandy