Copyright links

From: Robkin, Eugene (erobkin@uwc.edu)
Date: 09/30/03-10:11:26 AM Z

 The magicians that operate in deep cover here as our local campus
librarians came up with the following info when I asked them about sites
with good copyright material.

I've edited the reply to take out a lot of graphics.

If the URL's appear to be inactive, try a CTRL together with a click to
activate the link before retyping them into your browser.

Gene Robkin

------------------------From the
Librarians----------------------------------

Here are a couple of sites that cover 98% of copyright/fair use issues.
CONFU is the fair use policy, and the three following are all good sites
with lots of links. I like the Stanford one, especially in terms of
interpretation; university legal counsels have to tiptoe around some
language in grey areas of interpretation, but that site has some handy
stuff for "real" situations. The other two links are from U of
Maryland and the foggy one from the Colleges office and UWSA.

Most of the interpretive differences now concern the electronic
environment and its ramifications for things like DE, permanent storage
of copyrighted material as a backup, and now course management systems.
Fair use rules still govern most academic situations.

 http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/>

CONFU: The Conference on Fair Use

  _____

* Final Report to the Commissioner on the Conclusion of the
Conference on Fair Use
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/confurep.htm> (Nov
98)
* Report to the Commissioner on the Conclusion of the First Phase
of the Conference on Fair Use
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/concltoc.html> (Sept
97)
* Notifications
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/notif.htm>
* Comments
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/comments.htm>
* Interim Report
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/interim.html> (Dec
96)
* Miscellaneous
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/dcom/olia/confu/misc.htm>
LINKS
* White Paper Report
<http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/doc/ipnii/index.html> . The Report
of the Working Group on Intellectual Property Rights.
http://www.uwc.edu/cio/colleges2.ppt
<http://www.uwc.edu/cio/colleges2.ppt>
http://www.umuc.edu/odell/cip/cprimer
<http://www.umuc.edu/odell/cip/cprimer>