Re: Hardening gelatin (Ws: glutaraldehyde)

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/01/04-10:20:39 PM Z

On reflection I find that I am not as persuaded by Judy's argument here
as I thought I was. I was trying to be agreeable, but actually my
suggestion isn't so tremendously theoretical. I know from experience
that I can pour boiling water over my prints with no ill effect; I know
from experience that I can soak my prints in boiling water with no ill
effect, because I did both of these things recently to demonstrate the
tenacity of properly hardened gum for my page in progress on the
chemistry of the gum process. It's certainly reasonable, given the
melting point of gelatin, to suppose that boiling water would melt any
unhardened gelatin in the paper. So I don't think this is such a
cockamame idea at all.

I backed off because I realized that not all gum printers print in such
a way as to actually harden their gum, and of course this wouldn't work
on unhardened gum, which dissolves much more easily than unhardened
gelatin. I personally don't understand why anyone would print in such as
way as to not harden the gum well, given how ferociously soluble
unhardened gum is, but as I always say, "each to his own."
Katharine Thayer