Re: Developing sheet film in open-ended PVC tubes

From: Steve Shapiro ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 04/04/04-04:24:58 PM Z

Gagliani's negatives were quite dense. His method was a DEEP TANK
development. He used a D23 formula with additional addition of undeveloped
paper. The residual silver halides out of the sliver gelatin emulsion
caused a 'redevolpment' to render very sharp white, or highlight detail. He
exposed for the shadows.

His negatives sort of compressed the range with high acutance in the shadow
detail and great highlight detail.

In the deep tank D23 standing development process (D23 100 g SOD sulfite and
7.5g Metol per liter water for a working solution) the development from 4
hours to 28 hours goes and goes and stops when the negative is done.
Period. With Gag. it continued to over develop and flake off, and was
neutralized, replenishing the emulsion with the free floating halide
solution from the addition of silver gelatin paper.

Rather than open tank development, his was a deep tank development. Friends
have found his technique gave them excellent negatives for either Pt/Pd
prints or silver printing.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA