Re: Van Dyke Problems

From: Matt Kennedy ^lt;mpkennedy23@yahoo.com>
Date: 04/06/04-01:52:16 PM Z

    I clear excessively, for up to an hour or more sometimes,
with several water changes. I used to do brief clearing, but I
found that long soaks indeed seem to get quite cloudy when I
thought it was done. I put a splash of vinegar in the clearing
water, but some people mention using a pinch of citric acid
(less stink, I'd bet.) After good clearing, my highlights are
almost completely paper white. I clear face down in fluorescent
room light. After the bulk of the sens is cleared in the first
water change, fogging should be no prob at all, but mind your
whites. Until I was sure the paper was clearing, I'd put a coin
on the paper during exposure for a reference to paper white and
to show when the paper was clear or fogged from age/heat/light.

    Before I started putting ammonia in the hypo, (5% or so) I
couldn't fix for a whole minute without suffering reduction and
a flat print. So, I went to shorter fixes, fixing until I
noticed the image starting to bleach, which was only 10-20
seconds. I didn't think that could be very sound fixing
procedure, but it was all I could do. A little ammonia
corrected that, and I feel more comfortable thinking my prints
are fixed properly.

So, acidify the clearing baths and clear to excess, which is a
good idea, but I think trying ammonia in the fix (I use 1/2 tsp
household to 500ml 5% hypo) might help you out most. I hope so,
anyway!

Good luck!