Re: Van Dyke Problems

From: Robert Krawiec ^lt;robk64@yahoo.com>
Date: 04/06/04-10:00:25 PM Z

--- Judy Seigel <jseigel@panix.com> wrote:

> If the problem is as Robert describes -- a density
> that looks OK
> originally and then later actually WASHES OFF the
> paper, that matches only
> one problem I've seen (if it's fixer, you see it
> pale before your eyes)...

I wash for 5 mins in water, then 1 min in 3% hypo. At
this point the image darkens from a reddish colour to
the dark brown I was expecting. There is some brownish
colouring to the hypo indicating some loss density but
not significant. I then transfer to a second water
wash (separate tray to the first) and wash for another
5 mins. At this point the image really lightens
significantly. I then go into permawash and a final
wash of 20-30 mins. There is no additional loss of
density in the permawash or final wash.

> Why you use a "kit" for vandyke brown is a question
> possibly worth asking
> (tho note I do NOT ask it!)... this process is
> simplicity itself, you can
> buy a lifetime of chemicals for the cost of, say, 2
> kits--AND THEN YOU
> KNOW WHAT'S IN THEM...

On the other hand, I want to see if I actually like
the results before I clutter up space with a lifetime
of chemicals. :-) Point taken, and probably the route
I'll take if I decide I like the process.

> Did you gelatin size the paper? That also could
> cause VDB to slip off.

No, I used Arches Aquarelle. Most people seem to think
the paper is ok.

I just checked some of the sheets I coated yesterday
and the emulsion looks a nice bright yellow, so I'm
guessing it's not contaminated or fogged.

Reading the Christopher James book, it seems that
alkalinity can be an issue, so I guess I should test
that.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Rob