Re: weird. . .

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/07/04-10:48:47 PM Z

From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <holtsg@duke.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: weird. . .
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:31:27 -0600

Sorry I jumped on thinking that you must be reluctant to continue this
rather non-photographic thread.

> Currenty trying to do a traceroute to John Campbell's ISP stops responding
> after 17 hops. This isn't typical, but I'm not a traceroute expert.

Some firewalls are set to block ICMP traffic.

> By comparison I arbitrarily did a traceroute to Ryuji's ISP - it takes 14
> hops.

Which one? I have different ISP's for webhosting and email. When I
decided it was no longer cost/time effective to run my own server, I
switched to a comprehensive service provider, but I soon found email
services provided by webhosting companies were not reliable and I had
very frustrating time until I decided to use dedicated email company
for email.

> The other thing that really complicates receiving email messages
> from this list, are the number of blacklisting spam blocking
> services. There are many that are quite poorly implemented. Mail
> from this list is regularly blocked by at least one of these
> blacklisting services. There is nothing I can do to stop this.

I also have had bad experience with those. In particular, AOL was the
worst. They have their own blacklist, and they silently blocked a lot
of emails. They communicated very poorly as to what's needed to get
unlisted.

One problem with mailing lists and some of those blacklist-linked
email providers is that, some users who can't figure out how to
unsubscribe from the list falsely report the list as a spam and ask to
block the emails. You laugh, but I've seen it happening.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)