RE: Water heater advice

From: fred_cousins ^lt;fred_cousins@comcast.net>
Date: 04/09/04-10:43:31 AM Z

Fish tank heaters are OK for some purposes, but because they use a
thermostatic bi-metallic mechanical contact to control their heating
cycle, they can vary from +/- 3 degrees Fahrenheit in accuracy, which
can be a problem if you are trying to keep tight tolerances on your
developing of E-6 or C-41 film. About 10 years a go I built a
proportional temperature controller circuit using a TDA1023 proportional
TRAC controller IC. Phillips still makes this IC. I used a modified
fish tank heater (controlling contacts removed) and a water bath inside
a camping cooler. According to my lab grade thermometer, the temperature
never varies more than +/- 0.5 degree Fahrenheit. That is just as good
as the expensive JOBO temperature controller and better than the one
Porter's sells. If you have experience in electronics or have a friend
who is experienced, then it is a fairly easy project to do. I would be
happy to scan the article and e-mail it to you if you'd like.

Fred Cousins