Re: Adjacency Effects Again

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/09/04-03:20:28 PM Z

From: Gregory W Blank <gblank@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: Adjacency Effects Again
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 11:47:27 -0400

> For what its worth, the only negative of my own to clearly
> and undeniablely exhibit "edge effects" aka " A Mackie line" is a PMK
> developed negative. I believe it was shot on Fortepan 400 , and Jobo
> processed.

I didn't mention imagewise hardening effect in my previous post
because, with many of the well hardened commercial films manufactured
today, this is probably a minor factor. But with some films that are
not hardened as much, this may enter the picture. In the highlight
area of heavy tanning, gelatin is hardened by the developer oxidation
product, while shadow areas don't get this effect. When the film is
being dried, because of this different degree of hardening, the rate
of drying may vary depending on the image density, and highlight areas
may be surrounded by lines of low density. This is different from
chemical adjacency effect Sandy is talking about, though results in
somewhat similar visual effects. Also, this effect is a different
mechanism and not as influenced by agitation, as you experienced.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie." (Bob Dylan 2000)