Re: Archival Quality: was benefit of digital camera

From: John ^lt;ap@darkroompro.com>
Date: 04/13/04-11:46:23 PM Z

At 01:14 AM 4/14/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> > Incorrect. File degradation is a fact of file storage. It's
> > managed by using CRC checksum validation, Alternate Data Streaming and
> > other file backup methodologies. in this regard, digital is just like
> > analog in that any reproduction is likely to have some data loss but with
> > digital it's usually minimal or complete.
>
>I'm not interested in this thread but I thought to point out that this
>is not really true. CD-ROM and most modern digital recording media
>make use of very powerful error correcting coding.

         Yep and as I stated, data degradation is either minimal or
complete. It is not non-existent. Also note that ECC is a double-edged
sword of sorts in that a disk that has even a slight degradation may not be
readable.

Regards,

John S. Douglas - Photographer, Webmaster & Computer Tech
         Website --- http://www.darkroompro.com