Re: benefit of digital camera

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 04/14/04-04:06:20 PM Z

> Then Chris, you say you wipe out a lot on the go. Of course you're
> shooting environment, not war or politics -- but we read about this or
> that photog going back after the fact & finding the triumphant shot in
> restrospect (like Monica on the receiving line) -- is that an issue for
> you? (Or do you keep those?)
> Judy

Good point, and you'll probably gasp at my practice: once I have shot an
image, I try not to labor over whether I "got it" or not, but instead enjoy
the ones I got. That way I am not eternally disappointed at the "ones that
got away." I adopt the attitude that what is on my film/computer is what I
have--what I get is what I get, you know?

As far as the ones I delete that I actually got and aren't up to snuff for
me **now**--once I delete them I also don't think about them again. Out of
sight, out of mind. But that is my personality: I am a thrower, always. I
actually have contemplated editing my BW negs with a pair of scissors, but I
held myself back. I'm not a Weston, tho, who will burn all my negs when I
am facing the D word. The only thing I have regretted throwing in my
lifetime is my 70's wardrobe, hiphugger jeans, platform shoes, faux fur midi
coat.

One last point: I never delete in camera. When I am photographing, I am in
brainstorming mode, everything positive. Editing at the camera level puts
picture taking on a critical level, and IMHO is counterproductive to the
visual mode of working. I save my critique for the computer screen. But
that's me, and is not a practice for everyone (unless you're shooting
digital :)).

Chris