Re: Print Quality

From: William Laven ^lt;wmlaven@platinotype.com>
Date: 04/19/04-09:25:26 AM Z

Probably fifteen years ago, I bought a little card with two magenta
looking color chips on it called the Kodak Color Viewing Light
Selector. There's a number on the back that might be a "part" number:
P3-180. Anyway, the way it works is that the two chips look identical
when viewed under a daylight (5000K) light source, but different when
viewed under anything else. They work because one chip has more
metameric properties than the other (see explanation below).

It's really pretty cool. Now, if you've got a darkroom with only one
light source, you don't need a card like this, even with its fancy
name, to know you're not viewing under daylight conditions. But if
you have a mixed light darkroom area, for example mine with tungstens
and also a window, you can walk around with the card until the colors
match and know that that place is 5000K and the "best" place to view
your prints.

ps Even by a window, the card will show whether the light at that
part of the day is 5000K; it might be cooler or warmer of course for
many reasons. Many printers have viewing areas with artificial light
sources that are supposed to replicate "daylight" and this card will
confirm whether they do or not.