Re: calling all uber geeks

From: DWAYNE SANDALL ^lt;sandall@shaw.ca>
Date: 04/20/04-09:20:48 AM Z

Barry,

Here's my thinking on this, along with a couple of questions. First, the questions, if I recall correctly, an stl file is a 3D file, and if that is correct, then what I am guessing you want to do is make a 'textured' surface print? The rest of my comments are based on this assumption, of making this textured print.

I think the answer you are looking for in this case might be in the realm of terrain mapping. When I was in architecture school in the early/mid 90's I would take arial or sattelite images and be able to make a 3D terrain model into which I could insert my 3D model of the building.

Here's a bit of the theory of how it worked. The arial photos would be in greyscale, adjusted so that pure white was the highest point of the ground, and pure black would be lowest, and the shades of grey would be somewhere in between. The software would interpolate the pixels and build a 'mesh' that would approximate the surface.

Although the only time I made any physical 3D
prototype was of a building model, and it was pretty cool to see something come out of the screen into a piece of platic.

Once, late at night in the school's computer lab, for kicks, I had taken a photo of my face and made a mesh out of it.. it was pretty weird looking, but then again, some say I am too :-)

As for software, I am a bit out of touch in this realm, as I last did anything like this in the late 90's, but being the pack-rat that I am, I probably have some of the software backed up that I could refer to and point you in the right direction.

I hope this helps,
Dwayne