RE: ETHOL LPD

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 04/22/04-09:23:58 PM Z

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Bryant <dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Sent: Apr 22, 2004 7:12 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: RE: ETHOL LPD

Juan,

The formula that I'm posting was taken from a listing in one of David
Vestal's darkroom books and may not be an exact replacement chemically for
Ethol LPD. I adopted it many years ago as my primary silver gelatin
enlarging paper developer when it became difficult for me to purchase LPD.
It is Phenidone based like LPD which is a plus for me since I am acutely
sensitive to Metol and I'm unable to use developers like Dektol. Here is the
formula:

P-72

To make 4 liters of stock solution use:

3L of distilled water 50C - 125F
180g Sodium Sulfite
50g Hydroquinone
270g Sodium Carbonate
2g Phenidone
7.5g Potassium Bromide
1g Benzotriazole

Add water to make 4 liters.

Starting with 3L of H2O mix the chemicals in the order listed dissolving
each chemical fully before adding the next.

You can make a solution of Phenidone in isopropyl alcohol to help dissolve
the Phenidone easier and to make adding 2g to the solution more accurate.
The stock solution of Phenidone in isopropyl will not last long so there is
no need to mix a large volume.

I usually dilute the stock solution 1:3 with water for a warmish tone print.
1:1 for a little cooler tone. The developer is very long lasting in the tray
and the stock solution stays stable much longer than Dektol. For best
storage use an amber glass bottle. I can print all day and come back the
next morning and add a small amount of dilute stock and get extended life to
the developer already in the tray. This formula is inexpensive to make once
the initial investment in the constituent chemicals is made. Of course
different papers will give different results in tone and contrast. My normal
development time is 3 minutes at room temperature with all papers I use such
as Ilford Multigrade IV, Agfa Multi-contrast Classic, Oriental Seagull, and
Cachet to name a few.

You can also vary the concentration of Benzitriazole and Potassium Bromide
to vary color, contrast and fog reduction but I rarely do this.

Have fun,

Don Bryant

  I'm not where I can look up the formula but, by memory, it seems to me that this is essentially identical to Ilford ID-62 (Bromophen).

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
Los Angeles, CA, USA