Re: Scanning pigment stain (FLOGGING A DEAD HORSE)

From: Dave Rose ^lt;cactuscowboy@bresnan.net>
Date: 04/23/04-07:47:26 AM Z

Let's put a sub-heading on this thread.... Flogging a dead horse.

Like Katharine, I've fully explored the "Gum pigment ratio test" or "dot
test" with similar results. DESPITE ITS LIMITATIONS, I found it a helpful
tool for determining preliminary pigment to gum ratios. I did this test
many, many years ago, long before Judy Seigel was around to tell me it is
'wrong'. My actual test results will always speak louder to me than Judy's
flawed arguments driven by her personal agenda to disprove/discredit prior
authors on the subject.

This subject has provoked tiresome and pointless arguments for a long time,
as evidenced by Judy's admission that she's addressed the issue "298 times".

For those gum printers who've never done the dot test, why not try it (with
an open mind) and reach your own conclusions? Use two very different
pigments such as phthalo blue and raw umber. Just follow the directions
detailed by Crawford or Scopick and see what happens.

Best regards from Big Wonderful Wyoming,
Dave Rose