Re: ETHOL LPD

From: Richard Knoppow ^lt;dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 04/24/04-02:02:10 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "JUAN MIGUEL JUSDADO" <jusdado@teleline.es>
To: "FOTOALTERNATIVA LISTA CORREO"
<alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2004 12:43 AM
Subject: ETHOL LPD

> Thank you Don, Jack, Ryuji and Richard to answer my e-mail
on the developing
> Ethol LPD.
> My intention is to use this developer for my works of
Bromoleo.
> The one that I am using at the moment is:
> Distilled water 50ºC. 1000 ml.
> Metol 22 gr.
> Sulfito Sodium 75 gr.
> Hidroquinona 17 gr.
> I carbonate Potásico 65 gr.
> Bromide Potásico 28 gr.
>
> I am proving with dilution 1:8 and 1:3 on paper BROMOFOR
of Forte.
> - When I add the Carbonate Potásico, does he/she take
place kind of a
> "precipitate" of milky aspect that disappears increasing
the temperature,
> but has the solution cooled down once, does he/she return
again to take
> place. - What is this?, can it influence in the results?.
> When he/she has my tests, I will communicate them the
results.

> Pardon for my English, text translated by computer.

  What kind of results do you desire from the developer?
  The formula you give has a tremendous amount of Potassium
bromide in it unless 2.8 grams is meant.
  I don't know what is causing the precipitate when the
Potassium Carbonate is added. Potassium carbonate will
dissolve in greater quantity than Sodium carbonate but this
is far less than the amount for saturation of either form.
  The amount of Metol is about 7 that in a standard print
developer like Kodak Dektol/D-72. I don't think I've seen
another formula quite like this.
  For comparison Kodak D-72 is given below. It is pretty
much a standard formula. Every paper maker has a nearly
identical formula. Dektol is the packaged version of D-72

Kodak D-72 Stock Solution

Water (at 125F or 52C) 500.0 ml
Metol 3.0 grams
Sodium sulfite, dessicated 45.0 grams
Hydroquinone 12.0 grams
Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated 80.0 grams
Potassium Bromide 2.0 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

Dilute 1:1 to 1:3 for use.

If anhydrous sodium carbonate is used the amount is 68.0
grams
AFAIK, Potassium carbonate can be used in the same amount as
anhydrous sodium carbonate. There is some controversey in
the literature over whether there is any difference in the
performance of the developer with the two salts.

  There are many variations of print developers. In general,
increasing the amount of carbonate will tend toward cooler
tones, increasing the amount of bromide will tend toward
warmer tones. For a D-72 type developer the bromide can be
increased up to perhaps 12 grams/liter of stock solution
although the paper speed will be affected somewhat.
  I suspect Ryuji will have further comments and perhaps a
better analysis of the formula given in the original post.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com