Re: Glutaraldehyde: a different kind of cautionary tale

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 04/29/04-01:19:24 AM Z

"One thing I've learned in reading these forums is that
glutaraldehyde-tanned leathers don't age well; within 6 to 12 months the
leather turns yellow, and soon after turning yellow it loses its
strength and integrity and can be torn as easily as paper. For this reason,
glutaraldehyde isn't recommended for the primary tanning process for
leather. It is sometimes used to add perspiration resistance to leather
intended to be worn next to the skin, like cushioning for prosthetic devices
for example, but in these cases it is recommended that the glutaraldehyde be
used as a post-treatment for leather that has
first been tanned with chrome or some other tanning agent and thus
rendered safe against the weakening effect that glutaraldehyde has when
used to tan raw (pickled) collagen."

That's very interesting. This seems to confirm what is stated in a paper
dealing with dichromated gelatin: there is a fundamental difference between
chrome hardening and aldehyde hardening. "When the commonest organic
hardener (formaldehyde) is used, the gelatin molecules bind to their amino
groups at relatively high pH values and the carboxylic groups are considered
absolutely free."(Mazakova et al, Dichromated gelatin for volume holographic
recording with high sensitivity. Part II, Optical and Quantum Electronic 14,
1982, p.318)
"The results from the experiments show that if for bias hardening of
dichromated layers a hardening agent is used which binds not the carboxylic
but, say, the amino groups of the gelatin molecules, the light energy is
used more thoroughly, i.e. the sensitivity improves." ( p.319)
I ignore how this relates to gum crosslinking though.

Martin