RE: Humidity and Sensitivity... Platinum and so on...

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 08/05/04-08:44:48 AM Z

Ray, Heat and Humidity are ALWAYS important throughout the process. That
being said, it is not always critical nor does it remain the same issue at
each phase of the print production process. The paper will get treated by
the practitioner before the coating of the sensitizer, gum, sizing, et la.
The coated paper is then handled carefully to the next step, and so on until
the finished print lay on the table with the eyes of its creator lovingly
looking down upon it. With the platinum/palladium family of print making,
humidity affects the way the coating solution is absorbed and thus how much
or how little solution to use. In the drying of the paper, it
allows/prevents the penetration of the solution. In the exposure it plays a
roll in speed, color and contrast.

AS you print, you begin to see how critical control of humidity and heat
become. This understanding and others like it can allow you to control the
process rather than it controlling you.

Have fun!

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street