Re: some observations (and a question) regarding using the sun as a light source

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/06/04-08:01:27 PM Z

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Keith Gerling wrote:
> I was astonished to learn just how bright the sun actually is! Six minutes
> under my fluorescent bulbs equals three minutes under my Violux equals about
> 45 seconds under the noonday sun. But the time of day causes very extreme
> variances in the amount of light. A minute at noon might be 4 minutes at
> 3:00 PM.

In the early days of the list, a woman whose name I'm not remembering now
said she exposed gum by sunlight -- & that at noon in summer the exposure
was 30 seconds.

Some of the old British Journals of Photography have exposure charts by
season and latitude -- and as I seem to recall, maybe Henney & Dudley have
one too. But of course you'd have to factor in your medium...

Judy