Re: Circle of Confusion Question

From: Loris Medici ^lt;loris_medici@yahoo.com>
Date: 08/08/04-07:05:30 PM Z

1 degree = 60 minutes, when I check for tan(1 / 60) using the calculator
provided with my operating system, indeed the result is 0.00029... I
crosschecked the result by finding arctan(0.00029) * 60 = 0.9960... :) (it's
not exactly 1 because tan(1 / 60) is not exactly 0.00029) So there's no
error in the claim "tangent of one minute of arc is 0.00029".

BUT:

linear measurement 70 microns = 0.07mm = 0.007cm
distance = 25cm
l = d * tan(a)
0.007 = 25 * tan(a)
tan(a) = 0.007cm / 25cm = 0.00028 (<-- I guess this is exactly what raises
the confusion!?)
arctan(0.00028) = 0.016042... * 60 = 0.9625

This is not 1. I guess Williams' definition of "rough" is 3.75% tolerance
range :)

FWIW, I personally use a CoC value according to the planned enlargement
factor. I aim for a final resolution of 8 lpmm on the print because I have
read somewhere (don't remember) that this is the approx. resolution limit
"for most of us" ("at minimum viewing distance"). This is quite
contradictory to the result from Williams (~14 lpmm @ 25cm viewing
distance)! No problem, I'm fine with this figure. So, if I want to make a
20x30cm print from a 35mm film frame, I first find the enlargement factor:
30 / 3.6 = 8.3, then I multiply this with 8 (because I want 8 lpmm in the
print) 8.3 x 8 = 66.4 lpmm. Therefore, the CoC that will use for 8.3
enlargement factor would be 1 / 66.4 = 15microns.