Re: Hardening with glyoxal

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 08/15/04-11:10:24 PM Z

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> Lenox sheet that was normal white, that had been sized, too, and I realize
> that the Lenox was sized with glut for sure, and the yellowed paper if I'm
> not mistaken was sized with glyoxal. That piece was aquarelle (it had
> spots, so I was only keeping it for demo purposes). So, whatever you do
> with glyoxal, make sure you size just enough that you will use shortly,
> don't store it.

Chris, I've got several stacks of paper hardened with glyoxal sitting in
messy piles all over the studio because what with 1 thing & another I have
not cleaned it up... They are probably as white as they were the day I
bought them, or if they have yellowed AT ALL I'd have to put them next to
a new sheet to notice. They were sized and hardened at least a year ago,
maybe more...BUT BUT BUT they were rinsed after the hardening.

Even before I figured out about rinsing after hardening, the paper didn't
get bright yellow, so I'm not sure why yours did. One clue is that
(following Tom Ferguson's lead) I only use 15 ml glyoxal per liter. So if
you use stronger glyoxal maybe you get more yellow.

As for alkali causing the paper to turn orange -- you see that right away
if it's mixed into the glyoxal solution, in fact the solution itself turns
orange. I guess it's possible it could show up later, but that wasn't my
experience. However another factor in yours getting a stronger color
could be the amount of gelatin -- as I noticed that when I did get
yellowing it was strongest where a bead of gelatin had formed along the
edge... Do you double coat the gelatin? I coat only once. And which
gelatin are you using? That could be a factor too. Mine is 3% Knox.

In any event, a long soak in water should clear the paper back to white --
try a few hours.

Oh, I see now you've mixed your glyoxal in with the gelatin... You can't
rinse that off then, can you... another reason for not mixing... Why folks
do that I don't know. It also means you can't save leftover gelatin for a
few days in the refrigerator (which can be very convenient) -- or longer
in the freezer.

And Don -- I don't think the glyoxal hardening gets used up, like fixer
gets used up. It hardens as long as it's not contaminated, that is, when
it's fresh. My experience is that it doesn't keep, or certainly not past
a day or two. So I got in the habit of not mixing more than needed to dunk
a few sheets of paper at a time and discarding it after one session.

I tested the hardening by doing some 21-steps on the variables.. but
ultimately I found that odor was a fair guide. When the working solution
is fresh it has a very faint formaldehydish odor. In a day or two that
odor is gone.

Oh, and no distilled in any of it.... just sweet New York and Brooklyn tap
water.

cheers,

Judy