Re: Daguerreotypes again-mercury

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 08/23/04-08:05:52 PM Z

From: "Robert W. Schramm" <schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Daguerreotypes again-mercury
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:20:36 -0400

> I assume that alternative process printers are adult, intelligent
> people who have taken the trouble to learn the dangers associated
> with their work so I do not make any attempt to lecture them;
> however, I do feel compelled to mention that this process is one of
> the most dangerous processes.

This may sound really ridiculous, but I think some (not many) people
think images made by dangeous material and difficult process are more
valuable and therefore some of those who happen to stick with safer
materials and relatively easier process to master can be irritated as
someone emphasizes on these aspects... I personally don't agree with
that view but it's surprising that people make me fed up with
questions on how dangeous or complicated or other irrelevant stuff
when I have images and trying hard to minimize words.

> There is a publication out there somewhere that offers a quick and
> simple way to make daguerreotypes using a cole slaw shredder,
> aluminium foil and other makeshift methods.

I'm curious, where can I find that?

> I would be lax if I did not warn you and others that the proceedures
> discribed in this publication are extremely dangerous. OK, you
> might get away with this if you are lucky but if you are
> not.....what then? Don't say I didn't warn you.

I think on one side we see increasing degree of warnings on relatively
harmless stuff (check out the MSDS for sodium chloride) and another
side people hear about warnings beyond their immediate control, like
atmospheric mercury from power plants, pesticiders, alkyl mercury
used in multiple use vials for some vaccines, etc. It's not surprising
if some people are desensitized and overly sensitive about safety
warnings at the same time.

By the way, did anyone try physical developers like those used for
Calotype to develop Daguerreotype? (It may be used in conjunction with
or lieu of amber light.)

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"You have to realize that junk is not the problem in and of itself.