Re: Sodium Bisulfite

From: Martin Angerman ^lt;paleophoto@adelphia.net>
Date: 08/25/04-10:32:51 PM Z

Here's the math:

Formula weights are potassium metabisulfite=222, sodium metabisulfite=190,
sodium bisulfite=104. Remember that you get two bisulfites from every
metabisulfite. There was no listing for potassium bisulfite.

A 5% solution of sodium bisulfite=0.48M The equivalent molar concentrations
are 5.33% potassium metabisulfite and 4.56% bisulfite. All are close enough
for 5% to work in clearing baths for most situations.

The potassium salts are listed as pharmaceutical antioxidants, and the
potassium salt as the food additive, and wine preservative (there may be a
cost-effective opportunity for bulk purchases here). The metabisulfites are
listed as "freely soluble" in water. The sodium bisulfite is listed as
soluble in 3.5 parts water (~30% solution). pH may affect the ability to
dissolve.

All are listed as giving off a sulfur dioxide odor. They pick up water from
the air, and oxidize to sulfate (and are then ineffective). Keep them dry
and tightly closed. As far as the smell of a solution goes, check the pH.
A solution is acidic. The acid form is volatile, and therefore smelly. Get
some test strips or an inexpensive meter. I don't know the ideal pH. With
bulk and technical grades, this may be the source for differences from type
and batch differences. Remember, the difference between a bisulfite
solution, and a sulfite solution (as in developer) is just the pH.