Re: UV transmittance and "paper" negatives?

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/28/04-03:35:23 PM Z

Dave Rose wrote:

> I've built 11x14 and 12x20 pinhole cameras. I use lith film in both. The
> disadvantage with paper negatives will be excessive exposure times (when
> making prints). It's better to use film IMO.

Mmmm,
Certainly whether one thinks film is better than paper is a matter of
opinion and personal preference, but at the same time I don't agree with
the statement that paper negatives necessarily require excessive
exposure times. For example each of these gum prints was made with a
paper negative (double-weight fibre-based silver, oiled) with 5 minute
exposure, which I wouldn't call excessive:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/sudek.html

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/callas.html

I've never had a longer exposure time than 5 minutes for any paper
negative I've ever used. My 2cents,
Katharine