Re: Modifying bleaches

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 12/01/04-01:34:31 AM Z

"I thought we were talking about printing paper
emulsions."

I hoped to have pointed out I had little experience with paper emulsions...

"This stabilizer reduces too much speed in bromide emulsions so I don't use
it in them."

I understand some authors - e.g. Glafkidès, Frieser (?) - suggest there are
few stabilizers that don't lower speed.
Apropos, why do you have to add a stabilizer? Well, I may not know much
about paper emulsions but speaking about ultra-fine grain emulsions, you
don't necessarily have to incorporate stabilizers to prevent fog.

By the way, like Ray, I also wondered about your method of converting AgCl
into AgBr. For spectral sensitization this might have some interesting side
effects - but for paper emulsions???

"How do you measure the degree of conversion? What kind of time does it
take for the conversion to take place?"

Frankly, I don't know how to measure the degree of conversion.
Maybe by looking into the refractive index of the emulsion?

I assume the conversion process essentially depends on variables like: grain
size,
silver concentration, halide concentration of the bathing solution but also
on diffusion speed, which in turn might be related to the
kind of colloid and the degree of hardening.
For the fine AgBr grains, I am dealing with, it only takes a few minutes
to convert them into AgI (in say a solution of 2g KI/L).

Martin