RE: Paper Preshrinking

From: Kate M ^lt;kateb@paradise.net.nz>
Date: 12/01/04-03:03:00 AM Z

And while I'm at it, I've been thinking about this one too.......What is
Simili Japon paper like???? Is it quite rough and fibrous?

225 gsm is quite a light paper in my printmaking repertoire. If it's
like most Japanese style papers I've used, preshrinking always brings up
a texture. I would be inclined to soak those buckled sheets again and
then when they're dry, put them under a sheet on glass with a weight on
them. If you size them when they're deformed, they will probably stay
that way. If you're printing gum, a smooth to mildly textured surface
looks better anyhow.

About hanging to dry: I've been using an intaglio paper recently, (which
is fairly soft) and have found that the sheets stretch quite badly if
they are hung by one corner....moral of the story: hang them by two
corners and then (maybe)your negs will still fit the print after it's
dried!

Kate