Re: halide conversion (Re: Modifying bleaches)

From: MARTINM ^lt;martinm@SoftHome.net>
Date: 12/02/04-04:28:32 AM Z

"TAI can be added in bromide emulsion in much greater quantity than PMT or
many other agent but do not seem to reduce speed. In many chloride and
chlorobromide emulsions PMT actually increases speed."

I see. I guess TAI is among the compounds Glafkidès classifies as
"Indolizines".
US 2835581 (Tinker, Tetrazaindenes and photographic emulsions containing
them) seems to deal with that kind of stabilizers.

"You can spectrally sensitize paper emulsion to get reasonable speed
from chloride paper so that you can enlarge onto them. A classic dye
erythrosin is pretty cheap (as a dye) and readily available, and this
is particularly effective for chloride/chlorobromide emulsions (works
on bromide also but less effectively)."

I found somewhat surprising you used erythrosin for spectral sensitization.
Hopefully you might still carry out reduction sensitization in order to get
reasonable speed.

"Because I don't have to desalt this emulsion, I can prepare this in a
matter of 30-40 minutes, so I can "custom make" the emulsion for each
printing session."

I guess you might also achieve a ready-to-use emulsion within 30 minutes or
so (maybe less) by simple bathing methods. Well, it's probably not
particularly convenient to coat hundreds of paper sheets though. Also it
might be difficult to get consistent results. On the other hand, don't know
if this is an issue with paper emulsions, you can get quite high silver
concentrations...

"That's probably because your emulsion doesn't have a stabilizer that
retards ripening (like TAI). Do you make that emulsion or are you
talking about commercial products?"

I referred to commercial emulsions - but I equally make (Lippmann)
emulsions. Since some of those commercial films/plates kept for more than 10
years, they must have been stabilized.

Martin