Re: Digital Negs - RGB vs CMYK

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/02/04-05:49:11 AM Z

Michael Healy wrote:

> Kathrine, thanks for shedding some light on CMY. I know, on the surface my questions
> seem perhaps less than relevant.

Goodness, I certainly wasn't saying I thought your question was
irrelevant; I just said I wasn't sure I understood it. Thanks for
clarification. As to whether one uses black only or color inks when
printing inkjet negatives depends more on the printer than on anything
else, in my experience. I can't print the separations in color inks on
Pictorico with my ancient Epson Stylus EX, with any curve; I have to
print in black only on Pictorico. (And yes, I tried Dan's colorizing
methods but never got good results with them.) The black ink negatives
look like heck; it looks like it couldn't possibly print, it looks kind
of like a windowscreen, but for some reason it prints just fine. For
example this very delicate print was made from these window-screen black
ink negatives. In the original gum print, the tones and transitions are
totally creamy and smooth without a hint of graininess or a sign of the
grid-looking pattern that's in the negatives.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/skunk.html

I also have used paper color separations, (in fact 95% of the tricolors
I have ever done were done before inkjet printers got good enough to be
useful; most of my tricolors were printed from stochastic bitmaps
printed from 300 dpi or 600 dpi laser printers, thanks to Dan's book,
either on paper or on overhead transparency material). When I print the
inkjet separations on paper, then I can use all the colors. But the
color balance and the overall look is pretty much the same no matter
what negatives I've used: I print gum the way I want it to look, and the
negative is just the score as they say, it's not the music.... Which
is just another way of remarking how flexible gum is and what a wide
margin of error it has for color printing. For the record, it's my
considered opinion that at least 85-90% of the control for gum printing
is in the printing rather than in the negative itself, so in the end, as
I've said any number of times, I don't think the question of RGB vs CMYK
is a terribly important question.
Katharine Thayer

 The trouble is, while I'm not talking about colorizing,