Re: Digital Negs - RGB vs CMYK

From: SteveS ^lt;sgshiya@redshift.com>
Date: 12/03/04-09:36:27 AM Z

This is a good thread, so I leave the components and add this from my
experience.

Using CMYK in photo light prints (enlarger with negs) I can subtract the
'layers' captured on film by dodging, but with computer aided technology, I
can separate them, and change their color. In other words. The capture of
details from the light wave in the form of negative density can be preserved
after separation and reprinted for clarity.

With RGB, these separations are harder to achieve, as the light waves'
impressions aren't detailed but mixed, which tends to confuse the image or
look muddled, without detail, blocked, fogged, burned out.

I find film gives a more detailed imprint to work with in the medium at the
start than electronic capture. Gum printing gives the artist a better
'potium' with greater range to render more exactly what they want to show in
their final picture. It comes back to what many have said in computer aided
photography versus the wet lab, you should have the experience of its
origins before taking on the advancements in photography.

The saying for printing color with an enlarger: "If the print looks red,
add red to the head." Makes sense all along the way to include alternative
processes. (except reversal films)

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA