Re: RGB vs CMYK: some experiments

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/03/04-02:43:19 AM Z

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the great visual, which shows how the default CMYK alters the
CMY values from the true values.

If you had inverted the RGB channels, turning them into negatives for
CMY, and had an expert gum printer print them on gum, I would expect a
closer approximation to the original than you got by importing the
channels to CMYK, which of course altered the color values to match the
SWOP profile, which was my whole point, and thanks for the illustration.

It looks like the settings dialogue box has changed since my version of
Photoshop (I kept up from versions 1 through 5 and then stopped
upgrading) although I did check to make sure that the CMYK default
settings haven't changed in the newer versions (they haven't). It's too
bad that the new color settings dialogue just names the CMYK profile
rather than describing the settings. I go through all the settings on
the page that I would guess you didn't take the time to read, since your
page seems to show no knowledge of the information contained therein,
such as how an RGB file turns CMY when you invert it, and how the
default CMYK alters the true CMY values to match a profile that's not
terribly relevant to gum printing. I'll give it here again just in case,

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/CMYK.html

Katharine Thayer