Re: RGB vs CMYK: gamut and some important notes for CMYK users

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 12/04/04-06:10:43 PM Z

Mr X, who doesn't want me to mention his name, is having an argument
with me that I'm not having with him. How many times have I said that
whatever works is the right way to do it? That if the SWOP profile works
for someone, that's great? That I don't think there's any way to
determine with any acceptable precision whether RGB or default CMYK is
better in some objective sense, so I don't think it's ultimately a very
interesting question; furthermore presenting comparisons really isn't
very useful, since we'll all get different results and it won't come to
anything that could be generalized into a rule.

I've already said, and shown a couple preliminary prints that indicate,
that my comparisons will show RGB looking much better in color balance
than CMYK, but I've also said in some detail that I wouldn't make
anything of that because it doesn't really mean anything in a larger
sense of determining which is *better.* All it will mean is that I am
very good at printing RGB separations. So I don't really see the point,
although I am planning to work at it when I can. It's slow because I
have a heart problem that is limiting my activities. I can sit and type,
as long as I don't do it too long at a stretch, but I have difficulty
these days with things that require standing, walking back and forth,
lifting and so forth, like gum printing. In the last two months there
haven't been more than two or three days that I've been able to go out
to the studio, and I've had other things to do while I was there. This
personal information isn't really any of Mr. X's business, but since he
has made it his business more than once by rather rudely demanding why I
haven't produced the comparison prints, this is why.

How many times have I said there is room for many different points of
view on this, there is not a right answer to the question of how to
produce color separations? If anyone thought I was criticizing his
personal choice of separation methods, this would be a misreading of
what I have said. I've never questioned or criticized Mr X's test
methods; I have no issue with his tests and never have. My only issue
was with the categorical statement that RGB gives distorted color; I
disagreed with that statement; this whole argument has stemmed from that
categorical statement and my disagreement with it. But to say I disagree
with the statement that RGB separations can't give true color is NOT
the same thing as saying that RGB separations are Better or more
accurate than CMYK; I haven't said that. I've said that I prefer RGB
separations, and I've given my reasons why RGB separations make more
sense to me than default CMYK, but if anyone has taken those remarks as
personal criticisms of their own choice, then they've read way too much
into what I've said.
Katharine Thayer