Re: off-topic digital camera suggestions

From: Etienne Garbaux ^lt;photographeur@softhome.net>
Date: 12/11/04-03:53:00 PM Z

> In close-ups the picture seems to break up in a moire pattern.

This sounds like you may be using the digital zoom. Most digicams have an
optical zoom range (i.e., the lens zooms just like a zoom lens on a film
camera) and then provide a "digital zoom" to extend the telephoto range
(what this does is use only part of the image sensor, then interpolate back
up to normal file size -- same as cropping and resizing in Photoshop, but
often with less sophisticated algorithms). Just say no to digital zoom --
I can't think of a situation where it provides a useful function.

> The other problem is that greens come out as blue.

This sounds like either incorrect white balance in the camera, or a
mismatch between the camera's "color space" and your monitor's and/or
printer's color space. Try adjusting the white balance first, if the
camera will let you.

> A friend has offered to lend me a Nikon 990, but I am wondering
> whether I should buy something myself. My computer is

USB should be all you need, to move images from the memory card to the
computer. (BTW, it's a lot easier and faster to get an inexpensive USB
card reader than to download images directly from the camera.)

For really good close-ups, a digital SLR with a real macro lens is what you
would like. The Canon Digital Rebel equipped with the Vivitar 100mm f/3.5
macro lens is probably the cheapest solution, and would give you truly
excellent results if you do your part with the lighting. $780 + $150 at
B&H, less a $100 rebate on the camera body -- $830 total (substituting the
Nikon D70 would raise the price about $220; substituting the most excellent
Canon 100mm macro lens would add about $300).

On the other hand, if you are willing to accept some barrel distortion,
most of the fancier point-and-shoots have very usable macro modes. I have
a 4 Mp Canon G3 (superceded by the 5 Mp G5, and now by the 7 Mp G6) that
would satisfy many people for your application. If you go this route, you
will find that a fold-out, tilt-and-swivel LCD is worth its weight in gold.
[The Canon G3/5/6 also has RAW image mode available to get the most out of
the sensor and optics, but this may be overkill for your application.]

Most of this equipment can be purchased used if you want to save some money.

Best regards,

etienne