RE: Digital slide camera, was Re: off-topic digital camera suggestions

From: Baird, Darryl ^lt;dbaird@umflint.edu>
Date: 12/12/04-09:49:41 AM Z

Subject: Digital slide camera, was Re: off-topic digital camera
suggestions

....White balance, manual exposure, and hot shoe, on the other hand,
are all extremely necessary. Whether the LCD can swivel is not
important if there is a built-in output to, say, a TV. Suggestions
anyone?

Sam, this is a great question. I'm surprised by the lack of a simple,
semi-professional tool like remote preview on many digital cameras,
even "pro" versions. I was dissapointed to find the new Canon 20D and
it's Capture software would not "preview" to a laptop. You can take
pictures from the laptop software, but it doesn't let you see the
image until after exposure...I suppose this would suffice for your
copying needs, but for a camera costing nearly $1500, I'd expect a
little more flexibility. In my mind, viewing after exposure removes
the functionality of shooting off-camera.

This may be a limitation of the Canon supplied software, I've heard
there is good software for these line of cameras, but only windows
versions, not Mac.

-Darryl