Re: Homemade UV printing unit

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 12/22/04-09:40:55 AM Z

Jeffrey Mathias wrote:

>I would suggest enough tubes to cover the 10x80 area.
>This means more than 80 12"x1/2" bulbs.
>
>For uniformity, at a distance of 1 to 2 feet, I would suggest not
>placing bulbs more than a bulb width apart, closer better.
>
>I would also suggest not placing two 40" bulbs end to end to get the
>80" as the sockets and ends would likely leave a dark spot.

I am certain that you could build a unit to expose a negative this
size (10" X 90") much more efficiently by using 8' (96") tubes. Six
or eight tubes should cover the area, and one could get this by
placing side by side three or four of the commercial two-tube units.
Eight foot tubes are widely used commercially and relatively
inexpensive.

I figure it would take me about 1/5 of the time to build such a unit
as the one suggested by Jeffrey. And a lot less money as well.

Sandy