Re: oil-print-glyoxal??

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 12/26/04-12:30:41 AM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: oil-print-glyoxal??
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:07:23 +0000

> But I'm not sure I understand this part of your comment, "The next
> question would be: why the hardening by gum-prints after sizing by
> gelatin. Isn't the purpose for this treatment also not to prevent
> mold-growth?"

Might it be that it was referring to some people's practice to harden
sized paper by immersing it in a formaldehyde/glyoxal bath?

The purpose of hardening is to control the degree of swelling when
gelatin is wet. Excessive swelling makes gelatin mechanically weak and
susceptible to damage (while wet). My sizing solution has to be very
well hardened because, if not, sizing layer gets melted while coating
emulsion, and this causes a big problem.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"People seldom do what they believe in.  They do what is convenient,