Re: UV exposure light boxes

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 02/03/04-10:58:38 AM Z

>Aight, so I just made a exposure unit. Using GE UVBL bulbs. I have
>3 dual fixtures in this box and I'm getting a weak exposure. It
>could be other factors, but I'm leaning towards thinking that the
>fixtures aren't delivering enough power to each of the bulbs.
>
>Does anyone know circuitry theory? I have 3 20Watt ballasts coming
>out of the single source of current. How many could I have without
>running risks of low voltage?
>
>Thanks to the techies.
>adam.

Most 120 volt AC outlets can handle at least 1200 watts (think hair
dryers!!, ceramic space heaters, etc.) and you are not even close to
that figure. I am strongly inclined to believe that the reason for
the apparently weak exposures is due to some other cause.

Some folks are always on the look-out for lights and systems that are
more efficient that UV banks of fluorescent tubes. However, the fact
of the matter is that a well-constructed bank of UV tubes, and the BL
tube probably the best all-around one, puts out prodigious amounts of
UV radiation. Some 1000 watt metal halide systems may give shorter
exposures with small prints (say 5X7 or 8X10) since you can use
place them at 8-10". However, for anything over about 11X14" the UV
bank of tubes is hard to beat when you weigh economy of use, ease of
operation, printing speed, and even illumination.

In my own work I use both a large bank of BLB tubes (which print
slightly slower than BLs) and a NuArc 26-1K plateburner. The bank of
BLB tubes prints about 25-35% faster than the NuArc.

Sandy