Re: Comments on Pictorialism

From: Barry Kleider ^lt;bkleider@sihope.com>
Date: 02/07/04-03:52:43 PM Z

Comments on PictorialismShannon,

I'd like to read your work also.

Barry

Barry Kleider
Photographer. Arts Educator.
612.722.9701
email: bkleider@sihope.com
Web: www.barryphotography.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sandy King
  To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
  Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 3:12 PM
  Subject: Comments on Pictorialism

  Loris wrote:

    Shannon, I also would like to have a copy of it. Thank you very much (big appreciation)!

    BTW, I would ve very interested in following a "Pictorialism" discussion (to be enlightened on the subject) here...

    Best regards,
    Loris.

  Several years ago I had a book published in Spain by the Ministry of Culture of the Xunta de Galicia on the Spanish pictorialist Schmidt de las Heras. In the introduction to the book I attempted to describe the salient characteristics of Pictorialism. I am going to quote from my introduction, recognizing that the movement will never be the same thing to all people. But hopefully the text will stimulate some discussion about the movement.

  Text as follows:

  What is Pictorialism? Mike Weaver offers an extremely interesting definition, stating that the aim of pictorial photography is to "make a picture in which the sensuous beauty of the fine print is consonant with the moral beauty of the fine image, without particular reference to documentary or design values, and without specific regard to topographical identity." This is in fact a definition of the picturesque, understood as an informal style that presents an embellished imitation of nature, generally free of man's influence. The presentation of the picturesque is the first and foremost characteristic of Pictorialism. Other important qualities are: 1) an aesthetic concern with making art, as opposed to a record; 2) the concept that only images which show the personality of the maker, generally through hand manipulation, can be considered works of art; 3) an interest in the effect and patterns of natural lighting in the outdoor landscape; 4) an impressionistic rendering of the scene, in which overall effect is more important than detail; and 5) the use of alternative printing processes: carbon and carbro, gum bichromate, oil and bromoil, direct carbon, and platinum.

  Sandy